Saturday, February 24, 2007

Crock Pot Dinner


Yesterday I fixed a great crock-pot dinner. It turned out delicious and I have left-overs that I’m looking forward to having tonight. I love using the crock-pot. Makes life easy.

Round-steak Crock Pot Dinner
One thick lean cut of round steak, 1 ½ inches thick. Cut away all fat from edge.
Rub with garlic powder, onion salt or powder, and salt.
Add about 1/3 cup of beef broth to crock pot. (I use the low sodium, no MSG, Herb-Ox Brand,
granular).
Add round steak whole unless it needs to be cut into two pieces to fit.
Add:
Chopped onion.
Two stalks celery, chopped.
Cup or more of fresh baby carrots.
Additional seasoning. You could add garlic gloves but I don’t like a strong garlic flavor.


Cook on high for about an hour. Turn down to low and cook for another four to five hours. I cut up four (you can add more) new red potatoes and added last hour and half. I wanted them cooked but not mushy.

The meat was very tender, fell apart with the fork. I served with fresh asparagus topped with a dab of Miracle Whip. It was delicious.

I have often done this same recipe with a chuck roast or such, but I believe the round steak had a much better flavor, less fat, and did not taste greasy like some cheaper cut of roast can.

Give it a try and experiment with your own additions and amounts of vegetables used, as I am not cooking for a family. Just enough for me to have a second dinner out of it.

I don’t cook fancy. Simple is my way!

Linda


No comments: