Sunday, May 23, 2010

"Master of Fantasy: Frank Frazetta's Legacy"


American Artist Frank Frazetta passed away on May 10, 2010, at the age of eighty-two.

His art career covered many years, and he was noted for work in comic books, paperback book covers, paintings, posters, record-album covers and other media.

The book cover above, of my late husband Don Pendleton’s paperback novel The Godmakers (written under Dan Britain) is a Frank Frazetta cover. The book was published in 1970.




I found it interesting to see the evolution of Frazetta’s art through the years, not only of his own style, but of the apparent social/cultural changes that have taken place. It is a brief look at art history over fifty years or so.


From Time Magazine:




2 comments:

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I did not know about the death of Frank Frazetta. I am stunned. He was such a part of my life, my imagination.

My world is suddenly emptier. He was the reason I started to read Conan. His painting on that first paperback still is vibrant and alive despite all its reproductions.

I have watched and re-watched the DVD of his work, PAINTING WITH FIRE. I envied the creator of the DVD getting a sketch and autograph from the master.

I had always wanted his autograph. Sigh. Never to be now.

But that is small compared to the loss his wife must feel. The world is colder and darker after this news.

But we had his work and genius much longer than we had Dave Stevens. It still wasn't long enough.

Thanks for visiting my blog and following it. It means a lot to me, Roland

Ricky Kendall said...

I was totally amazed at how many of his works I have seen. Being a sci-fi fan, I've seen a lot of his work. It is very sad that he is gone. Great art, great imagination.