Saturday, March 21, 2009

Time to Plant Gardens on White House Lawns and Our Lawns


"Come the spring with all its splendor,
All its birds and all its blossoms,
all its flowers, and leaves, and grasses."
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, (1807-1882)


Me in my garden



It is now springtime and many vegetable gardens will be planted soon. I’ve had several gardens over the years, growing tomatoes, zucchini, cantaloupe, green beans, carrots, onions, peppers, radishes, lettuce, and once in awhile, corn and potatoes. I never had very good luck growing corn for some reason. Yet, it looks like it is off to a good start in my garden above. Maybe because Daddy was from Iowa and he knew a lot about growing corn.



This week our President and First Lady made headlines when ground was broken on the South Lawn of the White House for an organic “Victory Garden.” According to Friday’s Washington Post, The 1,100-square-foot garden will include 55 kinds of vegetables, be berries, herbs and “two hives for honey that will be tended by a White House carpenter who is also a beekeeper. The chefs will use the produce to feed the first family, as well as for state dinners and other official events.”

White House spokeswoman Katie McCormick Lelyveld said, “The White House will use organic seedlings, as well as organic fertilizers and organic insect repellents. The garden will be near the tennis courts and be visible to passersby on the street. The whole Obama family will be involved in tending the garden.”



Michele Obama has talked about the importance of healthful eating and the challenges of persuading her children to eat fruits and vegetables. I believe a garden is fun for a family. I know I enjoyed having gardens when I was young.

And in later years… and as a result of good crops, making zucchini bread, canning zucchini pickles, making jam, and jellies…and trying to give away tomatoes and zucchinis when the whole neighborhood was growing their gardens, too.


This was the best jam ever! I wish I still had that plum tree!



And those darn zucchini squash; you can hear them grow at night if you listen carefully for the sounds hidden somewhat by the breezes.



See what I mean....this happened overnight! :-)


When an apple tree’s in blossom it is glorious to see,
But that’s just a hint, at springtime, of the better things to be.”
~Edgar A. Guest (1881-1959)


In 1943, during World War II, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt planted a large Victory Garden on the White House lawn, inspiring millions of Americans by her example. I’ve also read that President Carter had a small herb garden, and the Clinton’s also grew a small garden on the roof of the White House.


War Posters for Victory Gardens
















I also wrote about gardens June of 2007 on my Blog.
~Linda




4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for this appreciation of gardens & for the eattheview video. I especially liked the Victory Garden posters & placing the Obamas actions in line with the tradition of the Victory Garden.

Ricky Kendall said...

I loved the article and loved having a garden. I presently live in an apartment and miss having a garden very much.

When it was mentioned that they were having huckleberry muffins at a white house dinner, I became extremely jealous. I love huckleberry anything. Pancakes, pie, jam, jelly are all best if made with hucklberries.

The sad thing about the berry is that it is not yet domesticated and only grows in high, snowy mountain ranges. If they are ever domesticated, It would be great to see them in the white house garden.

Thanks for the upbeat and "Fun" blog.

John-Michael said...

I thank You for a totally delightful moment immersed in the elegant simplicity of what is so wonderfully available to us all. You have presented these reflections in such a comfortably welcoming way that I am refreshed in my reading of your reflections. (And I LOVE the photo of You in your family garden!!) [smile]

Lovingly ...

Linda Pendleton said...

John Hayes, thank you for your comments...always welcome.

And you too, Ricky. I don't believe I've ever had huckleberry.

John-Michael, and thank you also for your warm words. I have to admit that photo of me in the garden is a favorite of mine. Glad you enjoyed it. :-)